Friday 3 May 2013

The Gift of Gab


It is said that if a person kisses the Blarney stone then they receive the gift of gab. Here in Ireland it is a character trait to be able to tell stories. And let me tell you, all Irish people have this gift! When my family visited me, I took them to Blarney Castle. The grounds were breathtaking. There were rivers and flowers covering the land. There is this one section of the grounds with mystical powers. There is a witches hutch and a wishing stairs. If you walk up the stairs forwards and backwards with your eyes closed then your wish will come true within the year. Of course my little sister was the first in line to make a wish! Then my dad followed after her. The Rochon family now has wishes galore!

When we finished with the enchanting forest we headed to the actual Blarney Castle. I thought that the blarney stone was at the base of the castle but man was I wrong. It was way at the tippy top of the castle! The journey to the top was over 100 steps of winding, shoulder width apart steep steps. We had my grandmother with us and she climbed the stairs like a champ! Although we did have to stop a few times and was asked if we were there yet we finally made it to the top a half hour later. At the top of the castle you could see for miles and miles, all the way into the next town.  

Then it was time to kiss the stone. In order to do this you have to situate yourself so that your butt is practically hanging off the side of the castle. Then you have to do this backbend to reach these poles. THEN these guys only hold you on your waist to lower you down to kiss the stone. The only thing that separates you from the ground is two bars that a person my size could easily slip through! It was the most thrilling and scariest experience. As you kiss the stone there is a camera that takes your picture. At the bottom of the castle you can choose to purchase this.  The face that the camera captured from my grandma was priceless. It was pure terror and excitement about kissing the stone. It was so epic that we bought the picture for her J

No comments:

Post a Comment