Friday 3 May 2013

Guten Tag


I never imagined that I would fall in love with the city of Berlin, Germany. Everywhere you turned there was something inspiring. It was impossible to get lost and be frightened because where ever you ended up was a new adventure. We were given day passes to practically any museum or tourist hot spots. In the few days that we were there, we crammed as much as we could in. The first task though was transportation. In order to get anywhere you need to take either the U-ban or S-ban subways. Let me say we conquered that subway system effortlessly! The slight difficulty we had was not knowing German lol So in the end we just gave nicknames to all of the places. For example O’hamburger street was really  Oranienburger strabe. Once we figured out the subway system we moved about the city with ease.



There was so much that we did I could dedicate an entire blog to it! On our first day we took a walking tour around the city with our teacher. We saw where the Berlin use to stand and the place where it fell. The tour ended at Check Point Charlie. Here my small group of friends and I spent a good two hours. It was a museum dedicated to depicting what life was like for both sides while the wall was it up. They had amazing stories of escape attempts. Some people would hide in the trunks of cars and another curled up into a ball in a speaker. The stories of people trying to create peace were inspirational.

The next stop was the Anne Frank museum. It was not too large. It was about the size of a long hallway. On one side of the wall was the life of Anne Frank. It had pictures and stories from her childhood. On the opposite wall it had what was occurring in Germany at the time. Then at the end, displayed in a clear box was her first diary that she received when she was 13. It was incredible to actually see the handwriting of Anne right in front of me.



After this we needed a slight pick me up and went and found a Haagen Dazs. Now I know that this is not REAL German ice cream, but man did it taste better in Germany. We made it a thing to get the ice cream every night we were there J

 We also spent an entire day seeing museums. My favorite was the Pergamon museum. Here they have entire pieces of Greek alters and parts of the Byzantine Empire and so so much more. It was like walking back in time. My second favorite was an art museum where I got to three real life Monet’s. Not only could I look at them up close and see the texture and dynamics of the paintings put I also got to take pictures of them. Incredible!

 Berlin is a city that is on my bucket list to go back to. I did so much the small time that I was there but there is still so much more to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment