Monday 13 May 2013

My trip :)


In these past three months I have created memories that will last a life time with friends that I now call family. Ireland has become a second home to me. From the moment I stepped off the plane I was in a daze. I could not believe that I was getting this amazing opportunity. Still to this day I feel like I like this is a dream. Now that time is running out I look back on the times I had here. When we stepped off the plane the members of town council welcomed us with open arms and accepted us into their town. Dungarven is a beautiful town which I am lucky to say I lived here, even if it was for a short time.  The Mercyhurst students became part of their community. We shopped at the local thrift shop and got to know the family working there. We went and saw a movie at the local theater and of course we became acquainted with the local pub life. At the pubs we not only made friends with each other but also with the locals. The people who lived here were kind and big hearted. Every time I met someone new they would offer their help if needed. If we were in need of anything from directions to the beach or a ride to the Blarney stone there was always someone there to help. I have never felt so welcomed before. Not only were the people amazing but the landscape of Dungarven is breathtaking.  One of my favorite memories was when me and a few friends took a bike ride out to the beach. The bike ride itself was beautiful from the patchwork fields in the distance to the cows mooing right next to us. Then on the beach we just got lost in its beauty and walked around for an hour picking up sea glass and just having some fun.  


I was so glad when my family was able to visit me here and experience the charm of Dungarven. We did the cliché touristy things like going to the Waterford crystal factory and going to Cork to kiss the Blarney stone, but my favorite activity was visiting the fairy tree. We were told that if you truly believed in fairies that if you put your car in neutral then it would roll up the hill backwards. Our faces as the car started to roll backwards was priceless. I wish someone was there to film our reactions because they would have won the jack pot on America’s funniest home videos!  The family trip to Ireland will be remembered as a magical experience.  

I feel like my time here was not long enough.  I am not ready to say good bye to the friends that I have made here. I am going to miss the walk to school along the quay, and going to Murray’s for a pint after class. My Saturday’s won’t be filled with Tom Keith tours and Carmel’s snacks. It is hard to say goodbye but, “Goodbyes are not forever. Goodbyes are not the end. They simply mean I'll miss you until we meet again.”

No comments:

Post a Comment