Monday 13 May 2013

Sachsenhausen concentration camp


When I was in Germany we went and toured the Sachsenhausen concentration camp. It is an experience that will stay with me forever. In eighth grade we spent the entire year learning about the events of the Holocaust. I thought after spending a year learning about this and then refreshing our knowledge every year after in high school, I would be prepared to visit the camp. I was wrong. I knew the events that happened there, but to stand in the same place that the horrific events occurred at was overwhelming. It was surreal to be there. I had seen pictures and heard testimonies from survivors but the camp was not what I expected. The feeling that you get as you enter the camp is bone chilling. We toured the medical center. It was not a place of nursing people back to health but a place of experimentation. Then we walked the grounds and ended up at the sleeping barracks. The museum kept the barracks the exact way they were years ago. You really got a look into the conditions that the people were surviving in. I am glad that I had the opportunity to visit a place of such significance. I believe that if everyone has the opportunity they should visit a camp. It brings a reality to the stories we have been told. 

No comments:

Post a Comment