Tuesday 19 March 2013

Scratch that off the bucket list

Over the years I have created a bucket list and on it I have participate in a legitimate race. One of the students on the trip found a 5k here in Ireland and asked if anyone would like to participate. I thought what better chance to scratch this off but in Dublin, Ireland on St. Patrick's day weekend! In my mind I thought it would be this huge festival of green with some people walking and others running.My goal was to finish it in under an hour! Let me tell you, it is not at all what I imagined! Me and the other 12 students arrived fashionably in all of our green bows and shamrock themed clothing and face paint and signed into the race. It was circus themed, with mimes, jugglers and even a french couple on stilts. I was in my own little world. Then I started to look around and noticed that there were some serious runners. Only a handful of us were dressed up, while everyone else was in appropriate running attire. I figured there would be some serious runners so I just dismissed the notion and went on being in my little world.
The group of us with the french couples on stilts! 


The we started to line up and the race began! The group of 1,000 runners started in a jog and then all of a sudden broke out into a full on run! I didn't know what to do with myself. I was expecting to see a whole bunch of people walking but it was the complete opposite. They were hard core running! I took it upon myself to take up the rear of the race. A few other girls and I simply walked the streets and looked at the sights on that sunny day. In the end it took me 45 minutes to complete the 5k, while the first place prize went to a man who ran it in 14 minutes. I literally saw people running second laps around me! All that matters to me is that I finished under my planned time :) WHOOO

No comments:

Post a Comment